Saturday, August 9, 2014

The Lord Gives

While I was back in the States, I got to share about many of my adventures from the last year, both the crazy vacations as well as the dream school I teach at.  Back in Indonesia, I am repeatedly reminded of all the Lord has given me.

I walked into my apartment on my first night back and was greeted by a group of girls who had made my living room floor their slumber party bed.  Rounds of hugs, stories of the summer, and a really dumb movie were the perfect welcome home.  I love these women, and am so blessed to have such a wonderful community.

A few days after arriving in Indonesia, a few girls and I booked last minute plane tickets, hotel rooms, and diving school for a holiday... you'll see photos from that soon enough.  I got to see God's creativity 18 meters below the surface of the ocean.  I got to soak up the vitamin D and get a nice tan.  I got to meet new friends from around the world.

I remember leaving vacation and holiday times dreading to go back to real life.  But as we got ready to leave the island, I was actually thrilled to be getting back to real life! 

The real life God has given me has been more than I would have ever thought of.  I will be returning to a school with a staff that loves the Lord, students who are eager to learn, and co-teachers that are my better half.  

This weekend I spent my time doing karaoke (my favorite Asian pastime), running around Jakarta's amusement park, and going to church.  Probably my biggest praise, the most valuable thing God's given me right now is a place to finally call my own.  After a year of looking and having my church family back in the States praying for me, I've found a place to call my church family.  My first Sunday back, He confirmed it that IES (International English Service) will be my church home.  I walked in, very early since our taxi driver was a speed demon, and stopped for some Starbucks.  The pastor was right ahead of me, and he offered to buy our coffee.  One of my biggest criticisms of the larger churches is not being able to know the pastor, but He assured me that even with the size of the church, this pastor cares, and I can learn from him and talk with him.  Worship was fabulous.  The message was good, and include lots of Scripture... probably the thing I was looking for most.

The Lord gives.  He gives, and gives, and gives.  He loves to pour out blessings, and I feel so honored to be the recipient of these blessings right now.

I started this blog post last Sunday afternoon.  Monday afternoon while I was at school getting ready for my first day, I got a text from my mom.  One of the teens from my home church died in a car accident just hours before.  My heart broke as my knees gave out.  I looked around my classroom, saw my co-worker walking towards my classroom and a student approaching to find his desk.  All I wanted to do was sit, in shock.  But I had to quickly move on to prepare for the first day of school.

The first days of school were fabulous, and always intertwined with prayers for home.  As I got word of the details of the crash, the prayer vigil, the calling hours, and the funeral, my heart continued to lift up this family.  My biggest prayer was that God would use this awful situation and do some mighty work.  That He would provide the strength for the family and friends that ultimately point others to the  Healer and Provider.

I couldn't post my blog.  The Lord has given to me.  Given and given and given.  But for my friends, He has taken away.  The Lord gives and the Lord takes away.

And as the weeks events came to an end, I got to talk with my mom.  And she shared with me how my prayer was answered. God was present in every moment, showing Himself and His love and grace.  The stories she told me screamed that God was glorified, and that everyone was able to experience His healing power.

Even when the Lord takes away, He is still giving.

Always giving.  And I am so blessed to witness all He does for His children.

Blessed be the Name of the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment