Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Life in a Bubble

Today we had assembly for all of Junior School.  Each grade takes a turn leading one of the assemblies through the year. 

Today's worship included a few songs I know quite well, "God of this City" (Christ Tomlin), "City on Our Knees" (Toby Mac), and "Send Me Out" (Fee).  These songs really caused me to pause, worship, and reflect, in the midst of my day and surrounded by hundreds of children.  You've probably heard them, but listen again, and you'll get an idea of what started my thinking today.

What am I doing here, for my city?

I sang all three of these songs countless times at church services while in college.  I sat in student chapel and church hearing the message of "You're here, now.  So minister, here now.  Don't wait until you're there, later."  So I sought out ways to work in Marion, Indiana.  I went into the public schools to tutor.  I volunteered at the Boys and Girls Club teaching Bible lessons and hanging out with the kids.  I went on prayer walks.  I served my church by joining the leadership team.  All to be involved in my community.

And I thrived.  I was exhausted a lot, yes.  But it was the tiredness of a life well lived.

What am I doing here, for my city?

I am currently in the "there, later" phase that I imagined while I was in college.  The world of flooding and overflowing garbage dumps and sheet-metal houses and mal-nourished children.  All of which are similar problems to what I saw in Marion.

At IWU, we talked about the IWU bubble.  And I worked hard to make sure that I didn't stay in my bubble full of white, middle-class, college students getting a good education at a pricy, private college.  While across the street sat houses in foreclosure, kids who ate one meal a day (the free one at school), and prostitutes who worked out of their homes while their kids played down the street. 

If I thought coming to Indonesia got me out of the bubble, I was wrong.  SPH has our own little bubble, and it's not all that different from my IWU bubble.  The teachers aren't all white.  But who do I mostly hang out with?  Sadly, I'd rather not answer that.  All the teachers we'd consider middle-class.  But to the world on the other side of the fence, we're living the high life.  My students' parents pay huge bucks to send them to this pricy, private, Christian school where they get an education that is far beyond any education they could receive in a national school here. 

Apart from my ojek ride to school, greetings to all the guards and gardeners at my apartment and school, and trip to the shopping mall a few times a week, my interactions outside of my bubble are minimal. 

What am I doing here, for my city?

I'm stuck in a bubble.  My bubble where I am comfortable, can speak my own language, and know what to expect. 

What can I do to change?  I'm helping with the Senior School's 30 Hour Famine this weekend.  They're supporting organizations in Jakarta.  So that's one thing.  Maybe what I need is a trip to the orphanage.  A trip to the flood victims.  A game of soccer in the kampung. 

Lord, open my eyes to the city around me.  The city beyond the polished walls of the school.  The city beyond my air-conditioned apartment. The city that cannot afford anything in the mall.  Give me courage to step out and minister to them.  Give me the strength.  Give me the same passion I had at IWU to get out of this bubble and into the city You've given me.  Let me be exhausted from being Your hands and feet in the city.

"Greater things are yet to come, and greater things are still to become in this city."

No comments:

Post a Comment